Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dr. Yosef ben-Jochannan, Update

Greetings Family,

How are you? I am a little tired but I am okay. It is a busy time for me. African-American Heritage Month or Black History Month or whatever you choose to call this time of year is very demanding, and the scholars tend to really push themselves during this time. Last weekend I lectured in Detroit and Chicago and right now I am in the middle of an Ohio lecture series. I am trying to get at least a few hours of sleep every night. My diet could be a lot better but I am drinking a lot of water and trying to walk at least a little bit everyday. Which brings me to the point of this morning's email. This is an update on some of our greatest scholars, several of which have health challenges lately.

Dr. Richard King, psychiatrist, author and researcher on melanin, is back in the Intensive Care Unit. Brother Richard has had some health challenges of late but seems to be doing a little better. We will update you as time goes along.

Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, a great scholar and mentor of mine, and the world's leading authority on the African presence in early America, remains largely in seclusion. Periodically I exchange messages with Jaki Van Sertima and she keeps me updated on Ivan's health status.

Dr. Yosef A.A. ben-Jochannan, Egyptologist, remains in a Bronx nursing home. He surely does not want to be there and, indeed, nobody is happy about it. But, based on a personal visit and long talks with his daughter and primary care giver Ruth ben-Jochannan, he is doing okay. He has bunches of visitors and people are trying hard to put him in a better place. He also now has a private room. Many people have asked me about sending money to him. If you want to send something just let me know and I will give you his daughter's mailing address. It is her home address and I won't just post it all over the Internet. So, if you are serious, let me know and I will tell you where to forward your contribution.

Another senior scholar that I've had a bit of a relationship with and would like to have more is Dr. Edward Robinson in Philadelphia. Happy to say that Dr. Robinson seems to be doing fine.

I also met last night here in Kent, Ohio Dr. Edward Crosby -- one of the founders of the Pan-African studies department at Kent State University. While getting up in years he remains committed to the struggle. It was a real pleasure to meet him.

Well, I will leave it at that for now. I promise to keep you posted.

African love,

Runoko Rashidi Okello
runoko@yahoo.com


Latest Events - TheBlackList Pub

No comments: